During the 1930’s, America was in the midst of the great depression. The economy was in shambles and the banks wouldn’t lend to the public. Financial Cooperatives, which had begun in Europe some 50 years earlier, were taking root in America.
In 1932, a group of employees from the Post Office at 5th and Hamilton Sts., in Allentown, PA, got together and did what was necessary to be awarded a credit union charter by the Pennsylvania Department of Banking. They named the credit union, Allentown Post Office Credit Union. The credit union was a success and continued until 1934, when congress established the Federal Credit Union Act. The Credit Union changed its charter to a Federal Charter. The new name of the credit union was Allentown Post Office Federal Credit Union. The credit union was the 62nd Federal Credit Union chartered in the United States.
The Credit Union continued to grow and serve its members until 1965, the Bethlehem Post Office Federal Credit Union merged with this Credit Union. Shortly there after the credit union moved its office to the Delivery and Distribution Center (DDC) on Postal Road in Allentown, PA. The credit union also changed its name to Lehigh Valley Postal Employees Federal Credit Union.
The credit union continued to grow and serve postal workers and the their families until 1981 when the credit union moved its office to Union Boulevard in Allentown, PA. Things continued to move forward when in October 1992, Easton Postal Federal Credit Union merged into this Credit Union. The credit union was now serving government employees in Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton, Pennsylvania.
In November of 1996, Reading Postal Federal Credit Union joined our credit union through a merger. In 1997, realizing a name change was in order the credit union changed its name to First Class Federal Credit Union.
The Credit Union continued to grow and a new office was needed. A new office was built at our current location of 510 Business Park Lane, in Allentown, PA. The new office was opened on Tuesday, November 13th, 2001.
We are the oldest Credit Union in Pennsylvania and one of the oldest in the United States. We continue to serve those who live, work, worship and attend school in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania. In addition, through those related, via blood or marriage we have members located throughout the United States.
We invite you to become part of our family.
We look forward to serving you!